Jeffrey Kingman's blog

Jeff Kingman's blog.

Sep 5, 2010

Polly Jean Harvey

I was a dumbass. In the early 90s I bought an EP by PJ Harvey, 50 Foot Queenie, and it had some raw and rocking songs, including one or two she recorded in her living room. I liked it. Then I bought the fully produced CD that came out around the same time called Rid of Me. I decided it was pretentious and fussy, so I sold the CD and wrote her off.
Fast forward to last year. I decided to revisit her music and bought her early record, Dry. Every time I listen to it, it becomes more amazing. She is a force. Check out her ability to rock out in a meaningful way here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMmJsszNkM8

Now check her out paired up with Bjork. This is a lesson in how to rock hard without the benefit of a rhythm section (it’s just the two singing and Polly Jean playing electric guitar). Polly Jean rocks, Bjork shreds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AX2bcWtg1Q

I’ve discovered she’s been putting out great stuff all along. I’m currently listening to her 2007 release, White Chalk. It seems she’s constantly pushing forward with new ways of expressing herself. So she’s a great rocker? This record has no rock songs on it—hardly an electric guitar or drum set to be heard, mostly piano and vocals. So she’s “experimenting”? The problem with an experiment is that it’s very uncertain. But her music always seems to be sure-footed (notice how she moves around on those high heels).

All this time I could’ve been going to her shows, but I didn’t because I’d written her off. Wish I’d gotten it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment